Sep 6, 2004

I haven't written much about baseball lately. It's just been a lost season as I've been watching the Mets put the uck in suck this year.

It's a hollow victory having the vindication that Bobby Valentine should have never been fired and Art Howe wasn't the right choice for this team.

Art will be gone before next year, as the end of the season winds down and the losses mount up it just brings the inevitable firing closer and closer.

On the bright side, David Wright looks really good and Jose Reyes will be back at short so the left side of the infield is young and possibly could be great for the next five or six years. John Franco and Al Leiter should be gone by next season and that will help too. I imagine Mike Stanton will be gone as well and honestly, since I never really liked him I couldn't be happier.

Yet, under the radar, the Mets signed a Cuban pitcher this week and have an inside track on a 21 year old Cuban first baseman so it looks like the infield will be set for years to come.

So, it's the old Dodgers lament again this season, wait until next year. I'll just have to be content in watching the Yankees set new records for the worst loss in baseball history in the last century (almost), or watch as the store bought team of all-stars that the Georgie-boy assembled turns out to be a wash.

You know, for all their vaunted success the Yankees haven't won a world series since they faced the Mets in 2000. They've been twice and lost (Diamondbacks and Marlins) and got knocked out in playoffs in-between (Angels).

As that 2000 subway series gets further back in the rear view mirror of Yankee history, I have a greater appreciation of that team of the late 90's. They weren't an assemblage of stars as much as a unique combination of personalities and abilities that complemented each other.

The Yankees of 2004 don't come close to the late 90's teams even on their best day..

No comments: